wychwood banner
Invite friends to join tunA the day

Their email addresses are

Your email address

Your message (optional, max 500 characters)

frame box top

PC's Live Bands

paulchristopher

Posted on May 28, 2018, 3:06 pm

Ok, so while all having a little break, I thought I'd post stuff I catch live. Would be good to hear what anyone else has discovered live or recorded too. Loma is a three piece, one piece being Jonathan Meiburg, formerly of Okkervil River and Shearwater. This track interested me mucho, so I got tickets for me and the WPC on Wednesday. Will report back :-)

coolnoise

Posted on May 29, 2018, 3:01 pm

The Loma track is very good. If you hadn't linked to it then I would have skipped after about a minute because of the annoying melody - but then it gets good. Interesting in the light of the history of Shearwater who started off as a Midlake type of band and slowly added electronics.

I have become seduced by the FKL session on KEXP last month - apart from the final solo piano track. Great synth noises.

paulchristopher

Posted on May 31, 2018, 8:07 am

Loma were excellent. Small intimate gig, not filled to capacity because of the idiocy of online ticket operators all posting 'sold out' when their own restricted allocation full. Hmmm.

The band all worked together, respecting each other's space, while I've never seen Meiberg look so happy. This song was a highlight for me.

Supported by Adam Torres, from Austen, whose fragile solo delivery slowly won us all over. 'This one's about America,' he said. 'It's good to be out of America.'

paulchristopher

Posted on May 31, 2018, 8:23 am
Last edited on May 31, 2018, 8:24 am

That all said, I prefer FKL. Excellent session on KEXP, and everything else I've found is great. I also love the band's name, which I read is a shortening of Funktionslust, one of my favourite German words, which translates roughly as 'the pleasure you get from doing something you're good at'. I'll drink to that. Ha!

Coolnoise, given stated antipathy towards dance music, you seem to be edging ever closer. ;-) I'm off to Field Day this Saturday - Willow, Floating Points, Four Tet, Daniel Avery, Daphni, etc etc...... Wheee!

coolnoise

Posted on May 31, 2018, 12:52 pm

It's even worse than you suggest PC, my most listened to music this week is Cock & Swan - I found their KEXP a bit 'wet' but it lead me to the albums and I am loving the inventiveness. I will just keep telling myself that this is Synth music and not Dance so its ok.

paulchristopher

Posted on May 31, 2018, 3:56 pm
Last edited on May 31, 2018, 3:56 pm

Haha. I think the term is being in denial. I've been listening to a lot of Floating Points of late. They're also on at Field Day. There's an interesting KEXP session. But here's one of his 'synth' pieces I really like.

paulchristopher

Posted on June 3, 2018, 8:47 pm
Last edited on June 3, 2018, 8:59 pm

So, yesterday's Field Day at Brockwell Park was a delight. Sunny, good ale, great acts. I've posted Floating Points, Daniel Avery and Panda Bear before. Caribou founder's Dan Snaith did an excellent set under his alter ego band name, Daphni... All good.

But two acts really grabbed me live, although I only caught parts of their sets. Fever Ray, whose latest album comes 9 years after her stunning debut, with more Swedish gothic horror. And Nils Frahm, a German composer/musician who I'd missed before, but whose slowly building pieces captivated me live.

One by Fever Ray.
And one from Nils Frahm.

coolnoise

Posted on June 5, 2018, 4:30 pm

have you heard the new Neko Case album? I'm genuinely shocked at how good it is. I expected nothing special but got Oracle of the Maritmes and others. The lyrics and those surprising melodies are just brilliant.

paulchristopher

Posted on June 6, 2018, 10:29 am

Yep. Very nice. 'I was an eyelash in the shipping lanes'. Ha! And the Spectorish Bad Luck is great. Last Lion of Albion should become a football chant as it's clearly meant for Brighton's Lewis Dunk ;-)

paulchristopher

Posted on June 20, 2018, 8:59 am

Caught two bands last night worth a mention. Support, Big Joanie, three London women, doing a post punk set that came over like Gang of Four/Delta Five etc

And a band I'd seen before, though I don't know how old they, or I, were back then. The Ex. A Dutch punk rock band, whose wall of noise guitar energy could be used as a How to... Manual by many a listless young band. Superb. Here's one track. And here's their latest album in full.

Forum 'Latest Post' RSS Feed What is RSS?
page bottom
frame box top
Glovebox Logo
A new music promotion company bringing amazing live music to West Oxfordshire and beyond.