wychwood banner
Invite friends to join tunA the day

Their email addresses are

Your email address

Your message (optional, max 500 characters)

frame box top

A. Wesley Chung

Mr TunA

Posted on May 14, 2018, 8:46 am

Thoughts please

Andy Cordy

Posted on May 21, 2018, 7:43 am

This would be a pleasant enough pop tune were it not for the subtle inferences that lurk in the text. I think he's a clever writer and I like what I hear as the influence of Paul Simon in his melody lines. There's one other number on Soundcloud and one on Youtube, where he comes across as awkward, a bit nerdy and very brave.

His voice is not my cup of tea. He uses the upper part of it quite a lot and in the video it looks uncomfortable although it doesn't sound uncomfortably strained.

paulchristopher

Posted on May 21, 2018, 7:43 am
Last edited on May 21, 2018, 7:49 am

This is indeed lovely, a gentle tale of displacement and nostalgia. Presumably a personal take on moving from California to Scotland - if I've got it right, cos, despite the intimacy of the vocal delivery, I'm finding it hard to get all the lyrics.

I like the build up of the arrangement from spare to lush, but personally I could have done without the muted brass band. Probably better than bagpipes though. The whole album is to be found on Bandcamp.

And yes to the Paul Simon reference, Andy. Thought of him immediately - kind of Homeward Bound sentiments with the rolling chug of stuff on There Goes Rhymin' Simon....

coolnoise

Posted on May 21, 2018, 11:48 am

Pleasant. It reminds me a bit of Bonnie Prince Billy's recent work. But as with BPB, it is a bit too tuneful for me, and the lyrics not direct enough to grab hold of me.

This may be the sort of thing that creeps up on me.

Jeff Roberts

Posted on May 21, 2018, 1:39 pm

"too tuneful" lol, that says a lot The intro was a bit too sensitive male for me but when tune kicks in it's really nice. Great production and mix. I think I agree with Paul in thinking the horns are gratuitous and kinda cloying, mainly because the trumpet is too intentionally wimpy. But the horn break on the bridge is nice. This tune is a perfect example of what a good snare sound can do.

Forum 'Latest Post' RSS Feed What is RSS?
page bottom
frame box top
Glovebox Logo
A new music promotion company bringing amazing live music to West Oxfordshire and beyond.