wychwood banner
Invite friends to join tunA the day

Their email addresses are

Your email address

Your message (optional, max 500 characters)

frame box top

David Ford

Mr TunA

Posted on May 11, 2018, 7:55 am

Thoughts please

Andy Cordy

Posted on May 19, 2018, 7:30 am
Last edited on May 19, 2018, 7:31 am

Although credited to both Lennon and McCartney, Come together represents IMHO the most strikingly original of John Lennon's works. A radical reworking of a traditional blues.

I think today's number is a fine effort towards a similar goal but the artist lacks the courage to leave behind those roots elements and run with a truly original song.

coolnoise

Posted on May 19, 2018, 8:30 am
Last edited on May 19, 2018, 8:31 am

I don't like that hat he wears in most of the photos. If one of your mates was wearing it you say 'take it off you prat'.

I like a bit of Blues. This is decent but I didn't find the story in the song particularly engaging.

Andy Cordy

Posted on May 19, 2018, 8:43 am

Both the recent history and the future of the blues looks much more like this to me.

paulchristopher

Posted on May 19, 2018, 9:15 am
Last edited on May 19, 2018, 9:42 am

It's done well, I like the touches of brass, but once again isn't for me - and yes, the almost Come Together thing is a bit frustrating. Third in a row here from a different era?

TGE continues. Caught 20 or so acts so far. All so different. I'll stick a couple of links from my highlights of yesterday.

1. Fontaines DC gave a blisteringly good performance. Lead singer, giving it his all, ended up with a nosebleed. Like seeing the Fall early 80s. Highest praise I could give! Boys in the Better Land. I may have linked Chequeless Wreckless before, but worth a second listen I think.

paulchristopher

Posted on May 19, 2018, 9:31 am
Last edited on May 19, 2018, 10:36 am

2. A different kind of attitude, Sado Opera were camp, theatrical but with a serious point to make. 'We are from Berlin... Well, before that St Petersburg, you know, in Russia, where they criminalise some love...' We Are Stray was done with some audience participation. They like Brighton ;-)

3. A long queue for Warmduscher, who I like, meant we went along instead to see Tuvaband, at my recommendation, as - unlike you lot - I loved their Tuna. A success! Song after fragile song by the Anglo/Norwegian trio. Just gorgeous, like Trees here - and the perfect way to start a night of banging techno-house by Hammer, and later Ross from Friends. No links for them. Sure you can guess what they were like.

Preparing the last day now...

Andy Cordy

Posted on May 19, 2018, 10:39 am

Guess I'm from the wrong side of the divide to enjoy Sado Opera though of course I'm happy for people to celebrate that kind of expression, it has always troubled me as a homosexual man.

I guess my sexuality is what stops me enjoying the pouty sensuality of Tuvaband too.

Fountains DC however smell like some kind of teen spirit to me and if they can hold it together and keep their edge, they will bring it on home for good old rocking nights in and out.

Andy Cordy

Posted on May 19, 2018, 10:41 am

Keep 'em coming PC! It's great to hear this stuff!

paulchristopher

Posted on May 19, 2018, 1:01 pm
Last edited on May 20, 2018, 2:02 pm

Haha. Thanks. Shall do.

Just saw The Beat Escape from Montreal. Like a quieter OMD. Not earth shattering. But fun live.

A ps about Tuvaband. She really isn't pouty. There was something Buffy St Marie about her voice. She came over to me like an angsty vegan, possibly wearing hessian undergarments. Guileless and beguiling. Honest!

pps. Sado Opera were definitely gay. This was no straight send up. They were politically engaged and very funny, talking at length about tracks like Kissing the Gay Guy and Russian Anal Game. Went down well with the Brighton crowd. :-)

Forum 'Latest Post' RSS Feed What is RSS?
page bottom
frame box top
Glovebox Logo
A new music promotion company bringing amazing live music to West Oxfordshire and beyond.