wychwood banner
Invite friends to join tunA the day

Their email addresses are

Your email address

Your message (optional, max 500 characters)

frame box top

Young Jack

Mr TunA

Posted on May 9, 2018, 2:18 pm

Thoughts please

coolnoise

Posted on May 18, 2018, 8:21 am

Strange how yesterday's retro band did nothing for me. Young Jack are just playing classic Funk and it sounds great to me. I love the energy in this.

paulchristopher

Posted on May 18, 2018, 8:53 am

Not for me again. At all. The irony of someone exhorting us to change the way we think, and playing this...

Sorry, last night, were superb live. Thanks Coolnoise for the heads up. A different take on stuff that sounds fresh, not rehashed. I love Jeff's muso tips for improvement, but personally I hope no one ever smooths the raw genius out of this lot. Here's one.

And as for GAIKA. A revelation. Sounds, tunes, attitude... Again, someone striving - and achieving IMO - something new and vibrant, rather than faithfully reproducing the past. After, chatting to someone young, black and down from London, I asked if he knew what the genre was. 'Little bit of this, little bit of that, know what I mean?' Exactly! It's all up for grabs. But you need to look forwards as well as backwards. And here's one of his too.

Andy Cordy

Posted on May 18, 2018, 12:27 pm
Last edited on May 18, 2018, 12:28 pm

This closer to the British blues rock of the early 70's than any tradition of funk I know until the horns come in and even then it's not hitting a funk groove at all.

Sure it's retro and I can't fault the instrumental playing but the vocal sounds false to me and stuck on. Funk is not known for it's classic lyrical content so perhaps I was expecting too much in the 'song' department but to me it's way better instrumentally than it is as a song composition.

Thanks for the Gaika tip. Hypnotic stuff, very much in the moment. Wish it could be let up tight.

Jeff Roberts

Posted on May 18, 2018, 12:59 pm

This sounds like Rare Earth or Buddy Miles from the 70's. It's good work but I don't get why this sound would be revisited, and the lyrics are pretty underwhelming. Tight playing though and great horns.

(I really like PC's Sorry link))

coolnoise

Posted on May 18, 2018, 1:24 pm

I'm glad Sorry were good. My only doubt about them was whether their playful and inventive side would come over live. I have been pretty down on UK Indie/Alternative music for a long while but I rate them very highly.

Valley Queen released a video lat night of the title track of July's debut album Supergiant. When do we do our album of the year lists?

paulchristopher

Posted on May 18, 2018, 4:14 pm

Sorry had no stage presence at all. I suspect they went back to the green room for a four-handed Rubik's cube competition. I LOVED them!

Forum 'Latest Post' RSS Feed What is RSS?
page bottom
frame box top
Glovebox Logo
A new music promotion company bringing amazing live music to West Oxfordshire and beyond.