wychwood banner
Invite friends to join tunA the day

Their email addresses are

Your email address

Your message (optional, max 500 characters)

frame box top

New Depth

Mr TunA

Posted on March 6, 2018, 1:31 pm

Highs or lows?

paulchristopher

Posted on March 14, 2018, 6:46 am

Of the thirty thousand or so songs on my iPod, there's no metal, so I'm probably not the person to ask. Quite like the Bonhamy drumming, Cobainy vocal, but all in all it's a bit muddy and dull to these ears.

Don't much like Latin American rhythms either on the whole, but in the Cuba bar, Riga, last night, surrounded by young energetic salsa dancers, this track hit the spot. Sometimes it's all about context.

Andy Cordy

Posted on March 14, 2018, 6:47 am

I think this is very promising musically. Great Atmosphere, some wonderful sounds, particularly from the guitar.

I hope they put a few more ideas and more time into writing words, I think their shelf life will depend on that. I like the unison singing and the chant that comes out of that but the words are hackneyed.

I think it would be useful to them to accept that they are from Whitney, not somewhere across the Atlantic and sing as such without silly accents. Also, in their market, image is all important. Making the way they look match what they sing about is very important to their customers.

Andy Cordy

Posted on March 14, 2018, 7:41 am

Search Cream on Youtube and you get 3 young men in their 20's, influenced primarily by Blues and Soul, by West Coast Pop and emerging rock styles, Gospel, Psychedelia. By the time of this concert, they had fused a rock style that became the seed from which the whole rock scene would develop. One reason why rock has become very limited in it's outlook is that only a very few of these elements come out in the music these days.

The history of rock is littered with the corpses of those whose work was driven or catalysed by substance misuse. Alcohol, hards drugs and even legitimate medication. It's a hard road.

coolnoise

Posted on March 14, 2018, 11:08 am

Sounds like a decent bit of Grunge to me. I like the guitar work and in a cramped Cellar bar this would go down well.

Really Andy has said it all above and I particularly like the idea that great Rock bands developed from a fusion of influences. Although I don't agree with his spelling of Witney.

Mr TunA

Posted on March 14, 2018, 11:49 am

Ha ha H

Jeff Roberts

Posted on March 14, 2018, 12:04 pm
Last edited on March 14, 2018, 12:05 pm

Major mix issues here--the drums are too big in the mix with a lot of ambient room sound. They gotta tame this or it eats up all the available ear space. The mix is 70% snare drum at the moment (and the snare needs a high pass filter to let it crack but not mud up the mix). This genre is guitar focused so the guitars have to be bigger in the mix. The lead tone in the intro is a big "bee in a soda can" to my ears, ie shrill high end and maybe a bit out of tune. The vocals are doubled too heavily with two bass heavy tracks that aren't closely synced enough to be doubling and not distinct enough to be a unison sing along. Vocal performance is too raspy and from the gut--this needs head voice for clarity and ducking the instrumental bed to allow the vocals to come through. I'm nobody but I'll produce this tune for them gratis if they want.

Mr TunA

Posted on March 14, 2018, 2:32 pm

Now there's an offer!! :-)

paulchristopher

Posted on March 14, 2018, 4:34 pm

Andy's take on Cream is interesting. Not my own though. Although most my mates liked them, and despite a couple of tunes - Strange Brew and Politician prob my faves - they never really did it for me. Around the same time I discovered two other influential seeds. Buffalo Springfield and Velvet Underground. I daresay those early choices influence our opinions of new music to this day.

Forum 'Latest Post' RSS Feed What is RSS?
page bottom
frame box top
Glovebox Logo
A new music promotion company bringing amazing live music to West Oxfordshire and beyond.