todays tuna todays tuna button
Sam Green & The Midnight Heist
Where You're From
wychwood banner
Invite friends to join tunA the day

Their email addresses are
Your email address

Your message (optional, max 500 characters)

frame box top

The Reverse Family

Mr TunA

Posted on February 12, 2018, 11:22 am
Last edited on February 23, 2018, 7:33 am

Scores on the doors for RF (no THE)

Posted on February 23, 2018, 8:04 am
Last edited on February 23, 2018, 8:07 am

Haha, 10/10. Every so often everything sounds so slick and overproduced, it's good to hear some lo-fi. The song itself reminds me, of all things, of Summer Nights from Grease.

From America's Say Hi and Advance Base, to homegrown acts like Half Man Half Biscuit, Swell Maps, the Lovely Eggs etc, I seem to have accumulated quite a lot of naive, quirky stuff over the years. esrever family slot really nicely into all of that.

Their backlist through the link is astonishing. Dozens and dozens of songs. It's like discovering an alternate universe, where studio values count for little. Have already found myself wandering round singing 'she's a dick and he's the balls' and 'do you want five minutes in the office to get your composure?' Hahaha. Splendid stuff. I may have to go up to London to catch them live.

Please note. All IMHO. This is in no way an objective recommendation. I have the feeling they're very much a Marmite band. ;-)

Andy Cordy

Posted on February 23, 2018, 8:24 am

Absolutely! I couldn't agree less. I am so not in the mood for self indulgent, couldn't care less what it sounds like. This is not about lo fi, it's flat line rock.

This kind of presentation has been trotted out regularly by bands since the Velvets patented punk. I think never with such a complete lack of adrenaline. If that is to be admired, then ok but not here.

Now that's a rant!

Major players in my day The Only Ones and the ultimate song in the genre.

Mr TunA

Posted on February 23, 2018, 8:29 am

And there we have the site, and music, summed up perfectly ;-)

Posted on February 23, 2018, 9:54 am

Reminds me of Swell Maps particularly with the vocals and lo-fi approach. It is mixing it up with a rather catchy tune as well.

So, nothing new to us oldies except the promise of each song being 24 hours in a life. Great, I want to read about that as a bit of conceptual Art so I go the website. It's completely unreadable. Small grey text on a grey background. If I squint at 175% magnification and select all the text I can make it out. I gave up.

Jeff Roberts

Posted on February 23, 2018, 12:44 pm

Well here comes the balanced median response. This is OK but it's been done, and I think Pavement did it much better with real melodic payoff tucked into the paint by numbers sound.

Posted on February 23, 2018, 1:48 pm
Last edited on February 23, 2018, 1:55 pm

Thing is both the Only Ones and Pavement can play. Andy had me scurrying back to the former. Here's a live version of one of my fave songs of theirs. Sweet memories. Now off to reacquaint myself with Slanted and Enchanted. :-)

Posted on February 23, 2018, 2:11 pm

Hints of Velvet Underground and Fat White Family, pretty enjoyable track. I dig the whistling, I always do like a bit of whistling ;-)

Jeff Roberts

Posted on February 23, 2018, 2:33 pm

Well like the joke about the Irishman in confession: "No Sean the father didn't absolve me but I got a couple good references..."

Forum 'Latest Post' RSS Feed What is RSS?
page bottom
frame box top
Album of the week

Alex Stolze
Outermost Edge
Album of the week image
A featured TunA artist from early March this reminds us of Journey to Cassiopeia by Hannah Peel which was one of our albums of 2017. Neo-classical is what the hipsters call it..we think!! No CD but vinyl.
Listen | Buy it
Download it
frame box top
Glovebox Logo
A new music promotion company bringing amazing live music to West Oxfordshire and beyond.