todays tuna todays tuna button
Andrew Applepie Feat. Bjurman
Waltz of Despair
wychwood banner
Invite friends to join tunA the day

Their email addresses are

Your email address

Your message (optional, max 500 characters)

frame box top

The Imaginary Suitcase

Mr TunA

Posted on January 6, 2018, 11:50 am

Pack it in?

paulchristopher

Posted on January 14, 2018, 9:50 am

I checked his last showing here and it's almost inconceivable that it's the same person. This is a lovely song, Neil Young intro leading into something that the Handsome Family could have produced. I think there should be a moratorium on 'shivers down my spine' but that's a minor quibble. Excellent.

Texan, David Ramirez played here last night, doing similar kind of quiet confessional country folk. I really love Time.

Mr TunA

Posted on January 14, 2018, 9:53 am

I agree...it's a totally different sound. Check out stuff by Ceili Moss in the forum (it's the same guy).

paulchristopher

Posted on January 14, 2018, 10:13 am

Blimey. Hearing him in French makes you realise how good his English is. It almost got my song of the week...

The voting's always a bit hit and miss. I listen to them all through again. One was dismissed out of hand. Then there were the run of female vocalist ones. Although I liked them all to different degrees, they blurred into one another. In their attempt to be someone's idea of up to the minute, they ended up sounding contrived and pretty much indistinguishable one from the other.

So, in the end it had to go to the band that seem to genuinely like being a band; who made a song that was upbeat, catchy and full of energy. Great pop track Vito. Play in Brighton! ;-)

Andy Cordy

Posted on January 14, 2018, 10:43 am

Yesterday, I was griping about cliches but you really couldn't put that label anywhere near this work.

It's obvious from the timbre of his voice that Bass Baritone is not his tessitura but he plainly likes the sound he makes in this range because he uses it a lot. The low register certainly infers gravity, solidity, even if his voice feels uncertain in the deepest notes.

I found much to admire on the website. I plumped for the album "Fake blood from real wounds." simply because the title appealed. Being able to sing comfortably in several languages is an enviable skill set. I much preferred some of these songs to today's offering but it is entirely admirable none the less.

coolnoise

Posted on January 14, 2018, 12:13 pm

I like this track a lot. A rich voice (I prefer the lower registers of male voices) and effective guitar playing. As a song I love the bits where he talks about love but not the rather naive politics and analysis of war. But even that gives it a 60s aspect.

My vote goes to Vito's guitarist.

Mr TunA

Posted on January 14, 2018, 12:18 pm

Nice Sunday musings you lot

Jeff Roberts

Posted on January 14, 2018, 2:20 pm

Very solid work. Profound lyrics that really compel close listening and reward for doing so. As simple as this is arrangement-wise it gets deeper as the tune goes along a pulls one in with it. It takes some doing to use 'love' in a tune and really offer a new twist on it. Here's my tuna the week.

*I'm saving this bon mot of Paul's for future use: "In their attempt to be someone's idea of up to the minute, they ended up sounding contrived and pretty much indistinguishable one from the other"

paulchristopher

Posted on January 14, 2018, 3:06 pm

You're very welcome :-)

Forum 'Latest Post' RSS Feed What is RSS?
page bottom
frame box top
Album of the week

Have You Ever Seen The Jane Fonda Aerobic VHS?
Jazzbelle 1984/1988
Album of the week image
Infectiously energetic pop from this splendidly named band from Finland. Think Go! Team and you've pretty much got it.
Listen | Buy it
Download it
frame box top
Glovebox Logo
A new music promotion company bringing amazing live music to West Oxfordshire and beyond.