todays tuna todays tuna button
Equals
Husk
wychwood banner
Invite friends to join tunA the day

Their email addresses are

Your email address

Your message (optional, max 500 characters)

frame box top

Josh Pyke

Mr TunA

Posted on October 6, 2017, 9:40 am

Musings on JP please

paulchristopher

Posted on October 12, 2017, 8:17 am
Last edited on October 12, 2017, 8:29 am

Not doing it for me at all I'm afraid. The double track thing is twee - is it even two voices, or one of those automatic mic things? And the oft repeated chorus is horribly cloying. Went back to check the previous tuna, and yes, that's still lively enough. But this is too syrupy for me.

But the Paloma Faith puts it all into some kind of perspective. Jeez is this what's current? One pop cliche after another. Utterly, irredeemably appalling! (imho obvs)

Mr TunA

Posted on October 12, 2017, 8:34 am

As I said the video wasn't about the music...but yes...it's what is being listened to / bought all over the land.

coolnoise

Posted on October 12, 2017, 8:47 am

The Josh Pyke is just to wimpy Pop for me, my only thought of any worth was that I could hear a Take That Producer doing a good job on those harmonies on the chorus.

I have actually enjoyed what I've heard of Paloma Faith's earlier work because she has a cracking voice. This track is awful - no lyrics craft, hackneyed musical ideas. Nice video though. It must have been fun to make with those big shots. Reminds me a lot of my schooldays back in the early 70s.

Mr TunA

Posted on October 12, 2017, 9:38 am

Did you go to The Big Brother School in Slough Coolnoise? ;-)

Andy Cordy

Posted on October 12, 2017, 10:02 am
Last edited on October 12, 2017, 10:03 am

I'm with coolnoise on Paloma Faith, having heard her doing Cole Porter, jazz standards and torch songs, you get a perspective on her extraordinary ability.

Without a clinical examination of Josh Pyke's vocal I wouldn't know how it was done but, as p.c. says, your bedroom studio can and will do all that.

As for 'folk' it's what you've got to label things to get it heard, just as house was on my demos in the 80s

tomkeller

Posted on October 13, 2017, 10:51 am

Thanks for posting this Ade. Yes, the video was certainly fun to make. Two (long) days shooting for my bits but several days in Kiev overall. I found Paloma Faith to be a really nice person, committed politically, and I admire her thinking behind the song. She believes passionately that lack of empathy, particularly in men, is one of the root causes of society's ills, and I think this song and video are worthy attempts to convey that. I wouldn't normally listen to 'pop' either, but I think this song has greater merit than might be appreciated at first listen. It's also quite catchy!

Forum 'Latest Post' RSS Feed What is RSS?
page bottom
frame box top
Album of the week

Courtney Barnett & Kurt Vile
Lota Sea Lice
Album of the week image
Could have easily made it into our Top2 20 of 2017. Quirky, slacker alt. pop from the oddball Aussie / American duo. We haven't a clue what the title's all about. CD £9.99 / Download £7.99
Listen | Buy it
Download it
frame box top
Glovebox Logo
A new music promotion company bringing amazing live music to West Oxfordshire and beyond.