todays tuna todays tuna button
Hannah Peel
Archild Orange Dwarf
wychwood banner
Invite friends to join tunA the day

Their email addresses are

Your email address

Your message (optional, max 500 characters)

frame box top

The Anatomy of Frank

Mr TunA

Posted on September 5, 2017, 8:43 am

Thoughts please

Andy Cordy

Posted on September 13, 2017, 7:37 am
Last edited on September 13, 2017, 8:06 am

I had to go back to La Llorana, to see what it was I liked about this outfit.

This is written with the same observational quality (lyrics all up on Bandcamp) but the intimacy at the microphone has gone a shade too much for me this time, the falsetto really isn't working (so much I almost couldn't leave it on) and the stark, environmental horror content of the lyric is so at odds with the jaunty, all too familiar, unplugged setting that I'm finding it hard to understand where they are going with this.

Even so, I'm going to try to adjust to the apparent contradictions as the power of what they do, when they turn it on, is well worth the pop.

I'm going to plug more great writing as Geoff Berner, professional Canadian Whiskey Rabi, has a new album out. If you're not already an addict....

paulchristopher

Posted on September 13, 2017, 8:51 am

Well I remember La Llorana. I won a bet with my son about the fact that it wasn't Sufjan Stevens. Haha.

I like today's song too, and more with each listen. It's Carrie and Lowell era SS, soft and sensitive and sublimely melodic. And the mic intimacy works for me. The accompanying video is affecting too, though you can really see him straining for those upper notes...
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fMYrBe408rs

I'd never heard of Geoff Berner. A real mixed bag, from the excellent Super Subtle Folk Song, to the jokey and, for me, unlistenable Phoney Drawl. Couldn't have owned it on vinyl, but today's options make cherry-picking an option.

coolnoise

Posted on September 13, 2017, 9:44 am

I will admit that I skipped over this track yesterday while listening to the album. But I was well rewarded today with my multiple listens. It's a very serious song in a deceptively light musical treatment.

Looking forward to Antarctica.

Mr TunA

Posted on September 13, 2017, 10:00 am

Might get a chilly reception

paulchristopher

Posted on September 13, 2017, 10:13 am

Icy what you did there. ;-)

Mr TunA

Posted on September 13, 2017, 10:43 am

Ha ha ;-)

Jeff Roberts

Posted on September 13, 2017, 12:58 pm
Last edited on September 13, 2017, 1:01 pm

Cool to see them featured again. Here's a band name that's original, clever, and cool. Kyle's a really nice young man, and it's good to them getting on. I'm surprised that AC didn't cotton to this one. I think this is really good (and have found some of their stuff too precious). It's very Simon and Garfunkel (gotta point to original sources even though Sufjan, M Ward, etc are the current purveyors). The sound is gorgeous and the guitar work is deft and has a lot of brilliant voicing that's tucked in while supporting. That vocal performance is superb and heartfelt. I'd remove a couple of the glockenspiel pings because they are a bit too too, but this is great, and the quick exit only makes it a stronger statement. The lyrics would stand alone as compelling poetry--a close listen to them floors me honestly.

Mr TunA

Posted on September 13, 2017, 1:54 pm

Spot on Jeff

Andy Cordy

Posted on September 17, 2017, 10:03 am

Listening again, after votes come in for artist/song of the week, my mind is unchanged.

The Simon and Garfunkel comparison is perfectly fair but I think a review of that classic work is called for here now that 50 years have past since Bridge over troubled waters was topping the charts. Comparing this song to that great album, only the lyric comes anything like up to that tide mark of quality IMHO.

Forum 'Latest Post' RSS Feed What is RSS?
page bottom
frame box top
Album of the week

Hannah Peel
Journey to Cassiopeia
Album of the week image
The Northern Irish artist and electronic composer’s third album is a seven-movement odyssey composed for analogue synthesizers and full, traditional 29-piece colliery brass band! He nicked this from the press release - Ed!!
Listen | Buy it
Download it
frame box top
Glovebox Logo
A new music promotion company bringing amazing live music to West Oxfordshire and beyond.