todays tuna todays tuna button
Equals
Husk
wychwood banner
Invite friends to join tunA the day

Their email addresses are

Your email address

Your message (optional, max 500 characters)

frame box top

The Harringtons

Mr TunA

Posted on August 5, 2017, 7:32 am

Thoughts....

Andy Cordy

Posted on August 13, 2017, 7:41 am

The Jam and the early eighties Mod revival are an influence on what they do but the whole post-punk pop thing too e.g. TRB

I like it well enough. Energetic, young man's music. Fine.

Sure enough, the Arctic Monkeys got a leg up with their brand of this rock and roll sub genre but they had good tunes, killer riffs and investment.

paulchristopher

Posted on August 13, 2017, 9:27 am

Yes to Arctic Monkeys, but not really the Jam etc. Far more like a 60s song. I really like it, vocal, lyrics and bounce. Once again this week - though unlike the song I voted for - this displays a degree of retro that I do not know if the young Joe Public will buy into.

So, nursing wounds after Albion's first defeat in the Prem, went to see some bands. Music never lets me down. Ha! The night's event was called Pulling Teeth, which should have warned me...

But I caught one band called Cult Cinema who I liked, even though I don't get scream/vomit vocals. This lot sounded like Caspian in part. Most other songs were screamier, thrashier and the mosh pit was leaping.
https://cultcinema.bandcamp.com/track/labyrinth-of-solitude

Caution: vocals start around 5'20. Soon forgot the footie result :-)

coolnoise

Posted on August 13, 2017, 10:30 am

It's a good song. I like the everyday nature of the lyrics just telling a real life story. Also an excellent guitar break at the end. I don't want to continue yesterdays chatter but it isn't exactly original. They describe themselves as a fresh faced, feel-good Rock n’ Roll trio. Maybe I prefer feel bad.

Which is exactly what I got from the Cult Cinema track. Absolutely brilliant from start to end.

paulchristopher

Posted on August 13, 2017, 12:32 pm

Excellent, glad you liked. Proof if proof were needed that it's always worth keeping an open mind and checking out live music, however unpromising it might seem. It was a great gig. If I wasn't nursing a broken rib I might have entered the pit myself :-)

Jeff Roberts

Posted on August 13, 2017, 12:40 pm
Last edited on August 13, 2017, 12:58 pm

Solid tune (with the common wayyyy too much intro mistake). Great guitar sounds, vocals, and overall vibe.

Paul I like the Labyrinth, that name is taken from a famous collection of essays by Octavio Paz.

After a wonderful couple weeks in Oxford I return to my hometown to find it on the front page of the BBC. It is a very sad day here, and generally in our country. I'm going to post a link to one of my tunes, because it was written about this very state of affairs: Ever Since the Rainbow.

Jeff Roberts

Posted on August 13, 2017, 12:40 pm

Ever Since the Rainbow

ever since the rainbow left the evening sky
waiting and hoping seem such a waste of time

into the air we fly into the seams we dive
as if the dust of a broken down dream
could start the engine fire

the passage of time this endless ennui
rivers and threads between you and me

sleep and dream again and again
an old man's finger tapping on a window pane
we dream and breath we love and grieve
remember that we share the same blood and air

the innocent sunrise the whispering day
dark clouds rising that will pass away

I know that these things that bind you to the common marrow
will rise up in your veins to remind you
remember that we share the same blood and air

paulchristopher

Posted on August 13, 2017, 10:55 pm

Getting Manasses again. Very nice.

My commiserations re-the stuff happening in Charlottesville. It's so shit feeling bad but also helpless about stuff going on in your home....

Forum 'Latest Post' RSS Feed What is RSS?
page bottom
frame box top
Album of the week

Courtney Barnett & Kurt Vile
Lota Sea Lice
Album of the week image
Could have easily made it into our Top2 20 of 2017. Quirky, slacker alt. pop from the oddball Aussie / American duo. We haven't a clue what the title's all about. CD £9.99 / Download £7.99
Listen | Buy it
Download it
frame box top
Glovebox Logo
A new music promotion company bringing amazing live music to West Oxfordshire and beyond.