wychwood banner
Invite friends to join tunA the day

Their email addresses are

Your email address

Your message (optional, max 500 characters)

frame box top
Go to Page : 1 2 . Previous Page  :  Next Page

The Dials

Mr TunA

Posted on August 5, 2017, 7:27 am

Do they give good readings?

Andy Cordy

Posted on August 12, 2017, 8:21 am
Last edited on August 12, 2017, 8:47 am

It's a bit like something the Super Furry Animals might have conjured in the 90's.

Retro is so far up it's own..... now. You put on flowery shirt and John Lennon Glasses and you're in.

There's a lot of good pop being made at the moment and this has some promise but it's way too tightly packed and pressurised for my liking, particularly the guitar riffing over everything else with brass knobs on.

Try this from Candelas last week at National Eisteddfod, Maes B. A great music festival, all Welsh Language performers, entrance under 25's only

paulchristopher

Posted on August 12, 2017, 9:03 am

Seen and liked this band, though from memory it was much more Americana orientated then. This early-Blur/Madness/west-coast foray is a lot of fun. It either means they are very versatile or don't have a particular style. They're on here soonish. I'll try and catch them and feed back.

coolnoise

Posted on August 12, 2017, 9:07 am

I found myself thinking the you wouldn't have been able to make that synth noise until the VCS3 first built in 1969 and yet the organ sound and the rest of it is definitely 1967.

Do they do what they do well? Absolutely. I think in a small venue with a light show they would be fantastic. But ultimately it is still fake.

If they had been 20 year olds in 1967 would they have played 1920's Jazz?

paulchristopher

Posted on August 12, 2017, 9:17 am

And loving the Black Grape again. A worthy AOTW. Might have to get it. And I didn't hear any profanity. Just common sense.

Course Black Grape v The Dials is the musical equivalent of the match I'm going to later - Man C v plucky Brighton. Eeeeeek

Mr TunA

Posted on August 12, 2017, 9:52 am

How can music be fake Coolnoise? Lights blue touch paper and retires!!

The Black Grape is on my MP3 player for Turkey later today.

paulchristopher

Posted on August 12, 2017, 10:26 am
Last edited on August 12, 2017, 10:44 am

Yeah, I picked up on that. Been mulling it over...

Public school boys/girls playing any kind of agit-rock/pop mabes. But they might well have internal demons to confront, despite wealth.
The wholesale co-opting of black music by white artists maybe, from Presley to Eminem and on... ?
My own pet hate: Stetson-wearing country players from Dimchurch or Cheam. Though they are so often completely sincere in their love of Americana.
John - let's all sneer together - Lydon and his butter adverts...??

In today's song, I don't thing 'fake' is appropriate. It's a bouncy retro-feel song, using today's technology. That's okay isn't it?

Mr TunA

Posted on August 12, 2017, 10:54 am

Just to let you lot know that I'm away from today so have enabled all the forum posts for the next week.

If anything goes belly up apologies but they'll be nowt I can do from overseas...fingers crossed :-)

paulchristopher

Posted on August 12, 2017, 10:57 am

Have a great time!

Mr TunA

Posted on August 12, 2017, 11:00 am

Why thank you sir

Go to Page : 1 2 . Previous Page  :  Next Page

Forum 'Latest Post' RSS Feed What is RSS?
page bottom
frame box top
Album of the week

La Mambanegra
El Callegüeso y su Malamaña
Album of the week image
Vibrant mix of Colombian salsa and NYC funk and hip hop. Not everybody's cuppa but we love it. Gets 2 weeks as AOTW due to us being on our hols...wadda ya gonna do?
Listen | Buy it
Download it
frame box top
Glovebox Logo
A new music promotion company bringing amazing live music to West Oxfordshire and beyond.