wychwood banner
Invite friends to join tunA the day

Their email addresses are

Your email address

Your message (optional, max 500 characters)

frame box top

Festivals: Bimble Bandada

paulchristopher

Posted on July 31, 2017, 2:21 pm
Last edited on July 31, 2017, 3:23 pm

Interesting to read your stuff about Truck, Ade. Certainly the line-up would have lured me there - had I not got tickets for Bimble the weekend just gone. Apart from the weather, it sounds like the opposite of Truck.

Wasn't looking forward particularly. I'd checked it out last year as Keyhole Kate said she was going. What happened to her? Haha. Reviews were good. I checked the line-up, and there was a high number of not-for-mes. Predominantly jazz-funk. Plus it looked a tad crusty :-)

But. A revelation. On a farm outside Lewes. Met the farmer on the hog roast stall. 3500-4000 people. No security once on site - though help easily accessible. Basically everyone free to do what they want. Basic facilities, but adequate. I don't mind peeing against a hay bale. The music was much better live. Plus the dj sets were superb. Oh, and real ale was £3.50 a pint.

paulchristopher

Posted on July 31, 2017, 2:27 pm
Last edited on July 31, 2017, 2:55 pm

My worst festival experiences with security and stewards have both been at Latitude - largely from rude, highly intelligent presumably, but deeply ignorant Cambridge students. Frisking. Purse searches - and that's the English meaning. The wpc was well miffed. The emptying out of a friend's celebratory bottle of champagne onto the grass. Security in plain clothes snooping round the camping areas for the smell of weed or suspicious hissing noises...

Bimble was the opposite. Laid back. Anything goes. And probably because of that it was the cleanest, friendliest, 'securest' site I've experienced. Others might like to take note. Wildlife, for instance, with its sniffer dogs, armed police etc. Not only is it a wind-up, but such heavy- handedness is not conducive to having fun, which is surely what a festival should be about.

paulchristopher

Posted on July 31, 2017, 2:33 pm

I went with the wpc. We met up with 40 or so other friends, set up a mini village with a big fat sound system. There were five djs among our number, who played great sets through the night - or until the vast collection of car batteries ran out. We played silly games. We sat round bonfires. We drifted in and out of the four music tents. The atmosphere was tremendous!

In short, it was the best party I've ever been to - a three-day one! I wasn't at the first Glastonbury, but I bet it was just like it. While other festivals shamelessly milk the punters, and without even a smile on their faces, Bimble Bandada is an example of old-school values. Magic!

Mr TunA

Posted on July 31, 2017, 3:04 pm

Glad you had the opposite experience....the BIG problem is that only a handful of organisations now own most of the festivals. They put the same bands on at each and don't give a s*** about their customers.

Forum 'Latest Post' RSS Feed What is RSS?
page bottom
frame box top
Glovebox Logo
A new music promotion company bringing amazing live music to West Oxfordshire and beyond.