todays tuna todays tuna button
The Lost Brothers
Echoes In The Wind
wychwood banner
Invite friends to join tunA the day

Their email addresses are

Your email address

Your message (optional, max 500 characters)

frame box top

Danny & The Champions of The World

Mr TunA

Posted on July 13, 2017, 12:14 pm

Champ thoughts please

coolnoise

Posted on July 17, 2017, 8:38 am
Last edited on July 17, 2017, 8:45 am

I will admit The Champs have never moved me in the past. This track starts out so well, it seems to be hinting at a Soul song despite the Pedal Steel and his voice could really suit that sort of track. It all wanders off a bit. Probably still the most interesting thing I have heard them do.

Andy Cordy

Posted on July 17, 2017, 8:50 am

This number suggests a rich mix of influences, most directly Neil Young and, perhaps oddly, late period Bowie among them.

The 'water' is way downstream, the attitude seems resigned, deeply introspective, battered by the world but still angry. I felt profoundly connected, however, I much prefer the jolly chap with that infectious smile because that's who we see.

They are so good, they can do whatever; soul, blues, rock, it's all here. I sense they do it for their own pleasure in the hope that people like it. Above all it's direct and honest. Get those backing vocals!

Mr TunA

Posted on July 17, 2017, 8:52 am

I know Mr C likes 'em, but I'll also take that from Coolnoise :-)

paulchristopher

Posted on July 17, 2017, 10:32 am
Last edited on July 17, 2017, 10:34 am

I've seen them 5 or 6 times over the years, with, I'm afraid, diminishing returns, based solely on my own shifting musical taste. Plus, I never liked them quite enough to buy albums. But a live gig was always fun.

This is a fine song. Swampy and melodic, and with superb playing - esp the the slide guitar. Too long for a single of course, the last one and a half minutes could go - though fine on an album. Never been that keen on his voice though, and 'don't you know' is one of those meaningless filler phrases that I'd excise.

Yeah, I got a bit of Neil on this song. Or Stevie Winwood maybe. I like it more than one of the other many styles he's mastered, as shown on Swift Street. I've prob seen them for the last time. Good time Americana-playing Brits getting on down doesn't do much for me any more at all - unlike technomeisters Neurodriver and Meat Katie, who I caught Sat night.

paulchristopher

Posted on July 17, 2017, 1:15 pm
Last edited on July 17, 2017, 1:16 pm

There are some very friendly artists around. Andy Roberts, Willy Vlautin and Rag n Bone Man spring to mind - he's only human after all. Ha!

Jeff Roberts

Posted on July 17, 2017, 3:01 pm

I'd listen to this simply to hear that guitar tone and part in the intro--super tasty. The vocal performance is very good, but for my ears the voice is too high and sounds like Willy Nelson. That's just personal preference--it's a tremendously soulful performance and there's some great head thrown back and let it go vibrato. Love the steel guitar. All instruments, mix, and production are rock solid. Anyone who likes Nathaniel Rateliff would dig this.

coolnoise

Posted on July 17, 2017, 3:59 pm

I had a quick listen to Neurodriver. Whenever I hear Techno like that it takes me back to 1980 and one of the great moments in my musical memory. The year before The Residents had released Eskimo. An album where they had built all the instruments for, and developed their own language. You were instructed to listen to it in the dark with a blanket close by as it took you to the frozen lands of the North and were told Eskimo tales from the old days which also described the destruction of the Inuit culture.

This was followed by Diskomo, the twelve inch Disco version of the Eskimo album. Everything that Techno would become was there. The driving drum machine beat, synth notes, silly drum effects, excessive use of the Vocoder. Added to this is the question: was it a serious attack on the banality of consumerism or just a big joke? It was of course, like a musical Schroedinger's cat, both.

paulchristopher

Posted on July 17, 2017, 4:34 pm
Last edited on July 17, 2017, 4:40 pm

Haha. Nice. I had Eskimo back in the day but had no idea about the spin off. Not quite what I was prancing around to but I can def see the 'roots'. Now check out Joey Beltram, who a whole load of us are going to see this coming weekend.

This will prob also be my last End of the Road. It'll be interesting seeing Jesus and Mary chain again after so long and the Fall spin off band, Brix and the Extricated. And I love Blanck Mass. But there's no dance and headliners Father John Misty, Bill Calaghan and Band of Horses just don't grab me the way they used to. Weird...

That all said, the line up's def not bad. Maybe see some of you there?!
http://endoftheroadfestival.com/line-up/music/

Mr TunA

Posted on July 17, 2017, 5:33 pm

I love it when you lot go 'off piste'

Forum 'Latest Post' RSS Feed What is RSS?
page bottom
frame box top
Album of the week

Angus & Julia Stone
Snow
Album of the week image
4th studio album by the Aussie indie/pop/folk duo. Expect delicious harmonies, catchy tunes and slightly off-kilter lyrics. It would appear NOT available to download.
Listen | Buy it
frame box top
Glovebox Logo
A new music promotion company bringing amazing live music to West Oxfordshire and beyond.