wychwood banner
Invite friends to join tunA the day

Their email addresses are

Your email address

Your message (optional, max 500 characters)

frame box top
Go to Page : 1 2 . Previous Page  :  Next Page

Floor Staff

Mr TunA

Posted on April 15, 2017, 12:22 pm

Grace Brothers or Sports Direct?

Andy Cordy

Posted on April 21, 2017, 7:47 am
Last edited on April 21, 2017, 7:48 am

Having just spent Easter with the Ma' in law, who's 'Church' but unable to get there now she's 91, this could be a very smart bit of Gospel.

I like it a lot. It stands head and shoulders above his previous e.p on Bandcamp. That is well worth a listen, in particular the hypnotic "The oldest mind" but sounds a bit ordinary in guitar settings.

His use of electronics here is more likely to get him a hearing. The songs are strong and can stand up to whatever you throw at them, arrangements wise. Go for it.

paulchristopher

Posted on April 21, 2017, 8:03 am
Last edited on April 21, 2017, 8:04 am

Well, I'm not getting Bell XI. Or not the stuff I've heard, which has all been a bit twee. What I did get was a touch of Blue Nile, while the wpc mentioned Michael McDonald - which maybe sums up the different places we both were In the early eighties...

I really like this a lot. Like Andy I listened to the Good Luck ep. Loved the title track, loathed Owe Everything. So a mixed reaction. The electronic groove of Saviour marks a great leap forward and is definitely the way to go imo. Not quite Harrods if we have to go department stores, but a good solid Debenhams.

Mr TunA

Posted on April 21, 2017, 8:09 am

Bell X1 comparison...no?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ormylFBXDA

Andy Cordy

Posted on April 21, 2017, 8:30 am

His arrangement (and Bell X1 in this example)owe a lot to OMD. I'm glad he seems to be leaving behind the occasional Whoa whoa.

paulchristopher

Posted on April 21, 2017, 8:40 am

One of the few tracks I do know. Iggy Pop's Passenger lite meets early Talking Heads... Yeah, ok, some similarity. But the 'feel' is so different, no?

coolnoise

Posted on April 21, 2017, 10:27 am

This track is just crying out for a band to play it as the vocal is wonderful and liquid. Oh, the inhumanity...kill the machines.

paulchristopher

Posted on April 21, 2017, 12:12 pm

Okay ­čśÇ

Jeff Roberts

Posted on April 21, 2017, 3:06 pm
Last edited on April 21, 2017, 4:54 pm

I really like this. I'm hearing more Bryan Ferry than anything else, and that's high praise. The vocal work here is excellent, and the song is very strong. I don't like the Casio preset #42 rhythm track--it reminds me of 1 hit wonder Gotye's tune-- but the fact is it lends a hip cachet (yeah that's perverse but I think so). I'd rather hear this with the arrangements/band from Roxy Music Avalon, but that's been done.

And Paul thanks for your extended hospitality. If I come to visit him maybe we you and I can go out clubbing and show them how the old guys can hang. I also proposed that we hold a Tuna Summit in some posh locale one of these days!

Go to Page : 1 2 . Previous Page  :  Next Page

Forum 'Latest Post' RSS Feed What is RSS?
page bottom
frame box top
Album of the week

La Mambanegra
El Calleg├╝eso y su Malama├▒a
Album of the week image
Vibrant mix of Colombian salsa and NYC funk and hip hop. Not everybody's cuppa but we love it. Gets 2 weeks as AOTW due to us being on our hols...wadda ya gonna do?
Listen | Buy it
Download it
frame box top
Glovebox Logo
A new music promotion company bringing amazing live music to West Oxfordshire and beyond.